*self funders only
Purpose and aim of unit
This core unit provides an introduction to the role of human resources and learning and development (HR/L&D) within an organisation and the environmental context. By the end of this unit the learner will have developed their understanding of how HR activities support an organisation’s strategy and assist the achievement of business objectives and how these are shaped by internal and external factors.
This unit is suitable for persons who:
- are aspiring to, or embarking on, a career in HR/L&D
- are working in the field of HR/L&D in a support role and wish to develop their knowledge and skills
- have responsibility for HR/L&D activities and decisions within an organisation without a specialist function
- are employees or independent consultants within the field of HR/L&D
- wish to understand the role of HR/L&D in the wider, organisational and environmental context.
On completion of this unit, learners will:
- Understand the purpose of an organisation and its operating environment.
- Understand the structure, culture and functions of an organisation.
- Understand how HR activities support an organisation.
How is This Course Assessed?
These are not traditionally taught qualifications but focus more on specific personal or organisational objectives rather than solely academic theory. Units are assessed by reviewing written work based narrative, supported by evidence. Evidence takes many forms and is compiled in a portfolio that is assessed by Watson Martin experts and verified by CIPD external verifiers before awarding the qualification. There are no exams or research projects at this level.