*self funders only
Purpose and aim of unit
This unit provides an introduction to the purpose and processes of performance and reward management and the role of human resources (HR) in promoting and supporting good practice. Studying this unit will enable learners to develop their understanding of how motivational theories and associated tools can be used within the context of performance and reward management and how these can have a positive impact on an organisation’s business objectives. It also provides an overview of appropriate skills and good practice associated with performance management reviews and follow-up and the data management aspects. Additionally learners will understand the role of financial and non-financial benefits and important determinants of reward decisions. On completion, learners should feel more confident in providing first-line support to managers and employees on the subject of performance and reward management.
This unit is suitable for persons who:
- are aspiring to, or embarking on, a career in HR/L&D
- are working in the field of HR/L&D in a support role and wish to develop their knowledge and skills
- have responsibility for HR/L&D activities and decisions within an organisation without a specialist function
- are wishing to develop knowledge, skills and capabilities in performance and reward management.
On completion of this unit, learners will:
- Be able to explain the link between organisational success, performance management and motivation.
- Be able to explain the relationship between performance management and reward.
- Be able to contribute to effective performance and reward management in the workplace.
- Be able to conduct and reflect upon a performance review.
How is This Course Assessed?
These are not traditionally taught qualifications but focus more on specific personal or organisational objectives rather than solely academic theory. Units are assessed by reviewing written work based narrative, supported by evidence. Evidence takes many forms and is compiled in a portfolio that is assessed by Watson Martin experts and verified by CIPD external verifiers before awarding the qualification. There are no exams or research projects at this level.