Our advisers are very special individuals with an abundance of industry experience and a genuine interest in the development of others. Each one of them works hard to support their CIPD candidates and apprentices throughout every step of their qualification and the feedback we receive on Coursecheck is testament to the superb advice they provide. Our advisers really do ensure our business retains that personal touch, something we know candidates greatly value. This regular feature publicly recognises their contribution to your CIPD success!
We have asked Evelyn Thurley, our Apprenticeship Adviser based in Hertfordshire, for her advice on achieving that all important CIPD qualification along with what she loves most about her job.
Evelyn’s top tips for CIPD success …
- Don’t be a perfectionist! Use you adviser and send in your draft – it doesn’t have to be 150% perfect. They will give their opinion on what you have done to date.
- Reward yourself with a treat when you have completed a small task. Remember easy bite sized chunks will soon amount to a whole assignment.
- Create a nice space to work even if it is just a corner of a room at work or at home to encourage you to learn.
- Think about using other people to learn from and not necessarily those from your own organisation. Make sure you network with others on your programme.
- Apprentices – keep the Apprenticeships Standards to hand as you can evidence the knowledge you learn to your organisation so everyone wins.
Evelyn joined Watson Martin in February 2021 with over 30 years’ experience in the people profession under her belt. A CIPD Chartered Fellow with a Masters in Employee Relations, a Degree in Business Studies, and a post graduate teaching qualification, it’s fair to say that Evelyn is passionate about learning. Not only has she made a point of entwining her operational HR career with the development of others in the profession, but she has held various roles supporting CIPD learning centres throughout the UK including a period as Chair of the CIPD Hertfordshire branch.
Evelyn began her HR career in M&S, before moving into telecoms where she spent 15 years in senior positions and saw the digital world evolve from small beginnings to the giant it is today. A move to Balfour Beatty followed where she headed up HR operations for a joint venture organisation involving three companies, before taking on a range of consultancy roles supporting key people projects across Europe and the US.
Always interested in teaching and learning, Evelyn has been a CIPD tutor for over 15 years and uses her own experiences in business to bring theories and concepts to life. As an Apprenticeship Adviser at Watson Martin, she supports HR and L&D apprentices at all stages of their learning. Evelyn particularly enjoys seeing her candidates experience that ‘lightbulb moment’ when they realise why policies and procedures are in place and can apply their learning to the workplace.